When we were asked to do a UXmas article, we immediately thought of a real Christmas cracker to give to you all.
We've heard so many quotes from clients and research participants over the years that just left us speechless. Were they joking? But they didn’t laugh… Oh, no, they meant it... Um... Oh, oh dear...
Behold our Top 10. Let’s chuckle and snort at the crazy logic of the non-UX-converted, and the highly inappropriate responses of UX research participants:
- "Pop-ups are kinda annoying, you know on porn sites how they are always coming up and getting in the way? It reminds me of that..." This gold was followed by asking the moderator out for coffee after the session. Um... yah.
- "The team won’t use that [technology solution] so we were thinking of mandating it." No, really, we heard that. It was a product owner’s solution to how hard something was to use… ha!
- "So, can you guys put the UX in it?" Well, um, I dunno... Where else do you want us to put it?
- "Let’s UX the shit out of this!" Over-zealous product owner getting into the UX thang… You go, dude!
- "The biggest disruption to the future of [XYZ industry vertical], will be the co-ordination of policy across agencies." [Insert very long blink here... while part of me simultaneously dies inside].
- "I think they were just dumb customers. We need to recruit some more customers that are smarter." That poor product owner that refused to believe that their baby was ugly…
- "Sorry, can you ask that question again? I’m feeling a bit foggy after a few joints…" No, really. Serious.
- "So you wanna go out and help me spend this baby?" To the moderator after being handed the cash incentive of $100. Stay classy, dude. Stay classy.
- "No this is the tech team, we don’t do feelings... those guys over there, they do feelings." Love sent across the room from the Dev team to the UX team.
- "We’d like to take you up on this proposal!" Pause... but it's dated at 2 years ago. "Yes! We’ve been thinking about it for a long time." Erm... Oh-kay.